Summary:
Millions of people recognize her name. They've bought the books, attending a conference, watched her show. Here, Joyce tells you her story in her own words. How she built her business, her vile childhood, the losses, the heartbreaks, the betrayals. The lessons, the victories the love. And the God of it all.
I have to say that I have only read a few of her books. I've seen clips of her tv show teachings. I'm more aware of her name than the woman behind it. Which is why I wanted to read her story. I've heard the controversy involving her in the Christian community. So, here was my chance to read what she had to say. How did she become the world wide known teacher she became? Is she really a name it and claim it leader? I had questions, so I let her answer them.
Let me tell you now, reading about her childhood is not easy. Disturbed doesn't cover it. Heartbreaking doesn't do it justice, either. Joyce was betrayed by the very people she should have been able to trust the most. No one stopped what should have never been allowed to happen. No one helped her out of the pit of hell they put her in, or kept her in. But, God had a plan for all of it.
Once Joyce graduated high school, she left home vowing to never come back. At 19, she got married to a man who lied, cheated and abandoned her. By the time the 4 year union was over, her husband had stolen from her and declared to his new woman the child Joyce was pregnant with wasn't his. Joyce was back to taking care of herself by herself. However, mere months after she was divorced, God sent a man who would forever alter her life. Dave Meyer had no idea what he was stepping into when he prayed for God to send him a woman he could help fix.
Not only did Dave stand by Joyce's side as she lived with the side effects of her childhood and ill-fated marriage, he did so as he brought God to her life. After immersing herself in learning the teachings of God, she begun teaching a Bible Study for her coworkers. The grassroots of her legacy began to grow. With Dave's help, she grew in her faith-and in her healing. Bible Study led to teaching at the church they attended. From there, they took to the radio. Conferences and books weren't far off. What started in their basement continued to grow.
As Joyce shares the evolution of her company, she also shares all it took to get there. There were betrayals, heartbreaks and losses. But there was also a firm foundation built to house the love, help and victories. She was no stranger to criticism- mostly from the Christian community. There were many who took issue with her being a female Pastor when the Bible talks against it. I've always heard her lumped in with the "name it and claim it" pastors. Having read the book, I understand her side of it more. She prayed needs that came to be after praying. Every step of her business was done through prayer.
I don't know if I'll read more of her books, or not. I'm glad I read this one. My Battlefield gave me a chance to get to know someone I didn't know much about. Learning about what she's been through and had to overcome, I have a newfound respect for her. It's undeniable that she's helped millions in the span of her career and I don't know how different her life would have been had she not endured all she did.

0 comments:
Post a Comment