The Christmas Shoes by Donna VanLiere

April 10, 2013


First off, I LOVE Christmas time, its my favorite season of the year! I could read Christmas books or watch Christmas movies any time :)

I first watched the movie "The Christmas Shoes" in 2002 when it came out and LOVED it! It was one of the most heartwarming movies I've seen and even to this day, I cry each and every time I watch it! Its a little tradition I set for myself during the holiday season, is to watch this movie.

Even though the movie deviates from the book (which is always the case) it still has the same message: treasure your family and always know how much they mean to you!

This book is told by Robert, the husband to Kate and the father to Hannah and Lily. He is a lawyer obsessed with working who doesn't come home till late at night (partly becuase he feels like he is a stranger to his family). On the other hand, Nathan also has a problem of his own. He is an 8 year old and he is going to lose his mother, Maggie. She was diagnosed with cancer and probably won't make it past Christmas day. Nathan is desperate to make his mother happy before she goes to God, goes to the store and finds a pair of red shoes which he think will be great for his mother. While at the store Robert is also there doing some last minute Christmas shopping. At the register waiting to check out its Nathan's turn to pay; unfortunately, he does not have enough money. Suddenly losing hope, he turns to Robert (who is right behind him) and asks for help telling him his story of  his mother and the shoes. At that moment Robert learns a valuable lesson. Somethimes the smallest things in our lives make all the difference

There are several quotes throughout the book which I loved reading, but by far my most favorite was "The more I think it over, the more I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people." Vincent Van Gogh

I honestly love the book, movie, and the song! I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a heartwarming story!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada