The Last Telegram by Liz Trenow

April 5, 2013


I came across this book as I was browsing the categories for books to review. Reading the story line I was completely intrigued! Even though it took me a while to get approved, I was happy I did! I  was in the middle of reading another book when I was approved, so that gave me more motivation to finish it so I can start on this adventure!

This book takes place during the Second World War around a silk mill. This was a very captivating read and along with the romance and intrigue of the story, one also gains a fascinating insight into the history and production of silk.

The book starts with Lily Verner as an elderly lady. Sorting through her stuff, she recounts her story which takes us back to the 1940s when she starts work as an apprentice in her fathers Silk Weaving factory.  Life at the factory turns out to be far more inspiring than Lily had expected, also somewhat distressing thanks to the war. On the bright side, there is a great deep love amongst the sadness. This story was filled with love, betrayal, prejudice and lasting friendships. At times I felt like the story line was moving somewhat slow so I took more frequent breaks reading this book. All in all a powerful book. If you are looking for a romantic read that has plenty of passion and emotion then I think this is one you will enjoy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada