Third Degree by Julie Cross

March 23, 2014

Summary:

I used to be “Isabel Jenkins, child prodigy.” As lame as that sounds, at least it was an identity. But now I’m not sure what I am. I just failed the most important exam of my life—the emotional readiness test required to get into a medical residency program—and it turns out my parents can’t stand each other. Now I’m trying to figure out how to pick up the pieces of my life, and that means re-enrolling as a college freshman, but this time I’m shutting the books and majoring in being eighteen.

But so far, my roommate hates me and I’m not into the party scene. The only good thing about school has been getting to know my insanely hot RA. Marshall Collins makes me wonder about everything I missed while I was growing up too fast. Pretty soon we’re hanging out constantly, but for the first time, I find myself wanting more than a no-strings-attached physical relationship. And the lesson I really need is one Marsh definitely can’t teach me: love. Because I’m going to be alone forever if I don’t learn fast.


When I first read the summary, I was thinking "hmm this seems like an interesting read!" Sure enough, I was right! The way Julie wrote this storyline was captivating and I couldn't put the book down. She truly placed you right in the middle of the story and I feel like I could visualize everything that happened.

Isabel Jenkins is a 19 year old prodigy. Being adopted at 5 years old, she was homeschooled the majority of her life. She has graduated medical school and is hoping to find residency at the local hospital that her heart surgeon of a father works at. It turns sour for her when she realizes she isn't accepted into any residency programs because she failed her emotional readiness test. The doctor insisted she experience some of the "normal" things 19 year olds do to help her with this until she can retest 6 months later. She decides to enroll in college where she meets her RA Marshall Collins (and boy did Julie do a fabulous job at his descriptions! I could visualize him perfectly, including every inch of his sculpted body!) Coincidentally he knows Isabel, Isabel's mother was his teacher at one point in his life! He decides to help her with her lack of social skills; in the meantime, she helps him in return with other issues he is dealing with. There is a shocking detail which emerges and it definitely leaves you feeling a wave of emotions!

I honestly couldn't put this book down! Although I had a hard time gripping the fact that a 19 year old was acting WAY above her age, I got over that fact as I was reading the book and I saw that she starting loosening up and acted a little more like her age. Maybe I was a little jealous too?! Who wouldn't want to start making $$$$$$ at only 19 years old? Cross's writing style was a pleasure to read! I had moments where I was cracking up with laughter: both at Izzy's awkward moments and at the other characters in the book. I look forward to the opportunity of reading another one of Julie Cross's books in the future!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada