This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection

May 17, 2010



This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection
By: Carol Burnett
266 pages

Summary:
"I figured I'd write up my favorite stories for my grandkids and anybody else who might enjoy them- who might have some fun and laughter and maybe some nostalgic moments as well... I've also included a few stories from childhood that bear repeating. I hope you like it." -- Carol Burnett's intro
If you're looking for the story of Carol Burnett's life, this isn't the book for you. If you were looking to take a walk with her down her memory lane, get comfy because this is the book for you.


It wouldn't be a Carol Burnett project with out a lot of laughter, and this book has plenty of that. I couldn't help but laugh when she tells you the story of a mugger's attempt at mugging her. The man will probably never watch The Wizard of Oz the same way again and I bet he thought twice before ever mugging someone again. Nor could I contain the giggles when you read what happened when she did her famous Tarzan call in a Bergdorf Goodman store, only to have a security guard "burst through a door... found ourselves staring at the business end of a very large gun." This incident being the reason she promised to never do the call in public again. Lastly, I couldn't help but chuckle when I read Carol's reaction to the rude Rumplemayer's hostess who humiliated her in front of all the customers when Carol didn't realize you couldn't wear slacks to the eatery. The expressions "revenge never tasted so sweet" and "revenge is a dish best served cold" had to have been born from this incident.


Nor would it be a Carol Burnett project without a hefty amount of sentiment. Again, this book has plenty of it. I never knew who or why Carol tugged her ear for. Through this book I do now. And there are no words to describe how extremely touching the chapter "A Girl Named Amy" is. I enjoyed reading the stories of her daughters that made you say "Aah" and the stories about the various pets she's had throughout her life.


Carol also included some stories I felt I could relate to. When she meets an author she loved reading Carol was so nervous she forgot to introduce her husband who was standing right next to her. When she finally does, she calls her dear husband by another name. I have forgotten peoples names or called them by the wrong one in far less nerve racking situations than this. I was glad to find out it has happened to someone like Carol. There was also the time Carol got to meet her childhood idol, Jimmy Stewart. It was one embarrassment after another with an ending I felt spoke to me and had me laughing. She turns to leave and accidentally steps into a bucket of whitewash. Refusing to let on that she didn't mean to do this, she kept walking to the other end of the enormous soundstage- one foot in the bucket the whole way. My clutsy moments are far too numerous to count and I have no doubt that if I ever meet my childhood idol I will humiliate myself in some way shape or form. Lastly, I cannot tell you how many times I have been on the phone with someone and thinking I was talking to someone else. The same thing happened to Carol when she got her trainer and her daughter's principle confused. Hers had funnier results, but still I could totally relate.


If you, or anyone you know, is a fan of Carol Burnett (Hi, Mom!!), they will enjoy this book. It was full of fun, cute, touching, and funny stories too numerous to share here. I gave you some of my favorites, but there are many, many more. And while you won't be let it on any deep secrets, you will probably leave feeling like you've made a new friend. A friend who will laugh with you and cry with you.


Rating: Borrow From the Library


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada