Jen's Christmas- Shirley, Goodness, & Mercy

November 29, 2010

Shirley, Goodness, & Mercy
By: Debbie Macomber

Summary:
Shirley, Goodness, & Mercy are Angels who have been given the case of Greg Bennett. Between abandoning his girlfriend upon finding out she's pregnant, to declining to give his friend the money to possibly save his wife's life, to not being there when his Mom dies Greg has had a rough life. Can he turn it all around?

This is the first book I've read from Debbie Macomber and I'm sorry this was the one chosen. My biggest issue with it was how unrealistic the resolution was. There was a LOT of build up as to why a deep hatred exists for several of the characters. There was a LOT of time to show why Greg is in need of redemption. However, there was NO getting to see it all happen. Literally one chapter he's hated and given the chance to do something selfless that would set the balls in motion. The next chapter, he's already done it and, once everyone finds out, they forgive and forget. I'm all for the happy ending and forgiveness, but this was a bit fast for me.

I think the problem is that the book is really short. My copy was a large print copy I found at the library, and it was only 110 pages. The way the story unfolded was a bit unbalanced. I would have made sense if the book was abridged, but it wasn't. This book wasn't a great one, but I haven't given up. I'm going to start reading another one with these 3 Angels and see if it's better.
I'm hoping it is.

Rating: Borrow From The Library

2 comments:

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read on November 29, 2010 at 11:56 PM said...

It seems that the book has a good premise that is delivered poorly. That's too bad! But I'm glad you haven't given up on the three angels. If you find a good book with them, I just might read it.

Jen on November 30, 2010 at 6:34 PM said...

I'll keep you posted. For now, I'm gonna see what else is out there.

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada