The Picture of Dorian Gray (Journey Through The Classics)

November 26, 2010

The Picture of Dorian Gray
By: Oscar Wilde

Once I finished the book, the first word out of my mouth was, "Wow". I can't remember the last time a book had me on such a roller coaster ride. The first half of the book in no way prepared me for the second half. I just didn't see the turn of events in the story coming. I went from think the book was odd to thinking the book was incredible.

When Dorian Gray sits for his picture to be painted he has no idea how his life will change. While the painting is being done he becomes friends with the painter, Basil, and a man named Lord Henry. During their conversation Dorian makes a comment about hoping to stay young looking forever and let the picture age instead. Well, it happens and unleashes more than Dorian bargained for.

Dorian becomes a heartless man. He falls for an actress and propses marriage to her. When he brings his 2 friends to her play in order to see her, her acting is horrible. After the play ends he promptly dumps her. The next morning Dorian learns she killed herself. The painting slightly changes, but noticeably so. From then on, as Dorian ruins one life after another, in one form or another, the painting continues to alter. Dorian turns to blackmail and murder- all of which show in the painting. When Dorian finally decides to destroy the painting that haunts him, he is the one found dead on the floor looking old and wrinkled while the painting shows the youthful man who posed for it.

While reading this book I went from not understanding why The Picture of Dorian Gray was considered a classic, to thinking the story was strangely entrancing. By the time I was reading the second half I couldn't wait to find out what else happened. So many things occured that I didn't see coming. All I can say it, "Wow". I have a hard time doing justice to the book, or my reaction to it. It was a great read.

2 comments:

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read on November 27, 2010 at 12:27 AM said...

I am so glad you enjoyed this classic! It really is quite an incredible novel. My sister finished reading it for the first time too this week and absolutely loved it. It seems Dorian Gray leaves an impression on the reader.

Jen on November 27, 2010 at 10:04 AM said...

Yes, he does!! In the beginning I thought it was an odd book. It was crazy how so much came out of nowhere. It was great, though!! I'm glad your sister loved it, too!

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada