Book Confessions-- Buying the "perfect" Book

April 22, 2011

I am the first one to admit that when it comes to books, I think I may need therapy. However, I live in that happy land of denial- I refuse to believe this is anything serious & should be completely ignored. Buying a book for me is a big deal. I see it as an investment. Sadly, like all investments, some were worth the priced I paid and others weren't. Oh well.

When I go to buy a book I love it if the store has more than one copy of it. In the cases of new releases, they usually do. The book I get is the "feel good" one. My husband always rolls his eyes at me, but he get5s over it.

The book I buy has to meet some strict criteria:
  • The spine has to be completely straight. No leaning in any direction.
  • The covers have to be in perfect condition. No tears, creases,or splits.
  • When I open the cover- ever so slightly- I listen for the cracking you hear when it's opened for the first time. I LOVE that sound. However, this isn't a deal breaker.
My preference tends to be hard covers and trade paperbacks. Rarely do the books I enjoy reading come in  mass-market paperback form, so I've gotten used to it. I love browsing through the bargain book sections of bookstores and used bookstores. I've found many gems in both places.

There you have it. What a book needs to have in order for me to buy it. I hope you've enjoyed this session of Book Confessions. I would love to hear what things you like out of a book you buy.

2 comments:

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read on April 23, 2011 at 2:06 AM said...

Great confession! You really do like your books perfect.:) Which is a good thing, of course. I prefer paperback to hard covers because I find them more practical to carry around in my bag and to hold in my hands. The cover is a big deal with me. I need a good cover. If it's a good book, I'll buy it despite a fugly cover, but then I'll create my own and tape it over the original one.:)

Jen on April 25, 2011 at 9:52 AM said...

I love that you put your own covers on a book! That's a great idea!!

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada