Splendor

April 6, 2011


Splendor (Luxe Series #4)

By: Anna Godbersen

391 pages


Summary:

In the conclusion to the series find out how married life finds Elizabeth. See just how far she can be pushed and what she does when she pushes back. All is as far from paradise for the married duo of Henry and Penelope. Penelope catches the eye of a foreign Prince. Has she finally found a satisfying love or will she be made a fool of? Diana and Henry realize that in order to be together they have to leave New York. But can they do it, or will a family crisis force them both down different paths? Claire has the money she's always wanted, but can she get the love of the man she wants?

It is rare when a series stays as good in it's finale as it was in it's debut, but I think the Luxe series has. Reading Splendor was bittersweet. I couldn't wait to see what happened to the characters I've grown attached to, but I also knew this was it. Thankfully I bought the series so that if I ever find I have to revisit any of the characters, they're only a bookshelf away.

Elizabeth is settling into married life. Her tummy growing bigger every day with the baby she's carrying, life is going pretty well for her. However, all that changes when she stumbles upon paperwork her husband was hiding from her. On top of that, a man is now showing up at their new home demanding money to keep his mouth shut. Elizabeth figures out what's going on, but that's only half her battle.

Penelope has a bumpy re-entry into society after her "miscarriage". With her husband off fighting in the war, she gets distracted by a Prince who makes no secret his desires. Throwing caution to the wind, Penelope dances, dines, and sleeps with him all over the city. She is determined to be the Princess he says she should be.


Diana and Henry reunite and enjoy their time together. However, it's only to last while their abroad. When she's discovered in his barracks, both are sent back to New York. The plan is set for them to really be together and even leave New York for a lifetime of love, but one thing after another happens. A family tragedy strikes and it becomes the test of their love and future. Both are forced to take a look at what they want and what they need to do in order to be happy.


Claire has built a new life around lies. She has money to burn and has now got the love she's wanted. But her past isn't fading away quietly. An ugly, violent confrontation forces Claire to come clean about everything. Just when she thought she could breathe a sigh of relief, everything changes. But did it change for the better or worse?


I was satisfied with a couple of the endings, but not all. I wanted to see Diana & Henry live "happily ever after", but that was not to be. I really wanted to see Penelope stripped of everything she got through deceit and manipulation, but that was not to be either. I loved that Elizabeth finally found love after Will and went on to live a good life. Claire was never a character I was that interested in, so I didn't care how her ending came out to be. The biggest surprise to me was Diana. In book #1 she's the rebel daughter who plays by her own rules. Throughout the series you see that tested in various ways, but she and Elizabeth were the ones I was most invested in.


Rating: Buy It

2 comments:

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read on April 7, 2011 at 1:07 AM said...

I'm really glad you enjoyed the finale! This was a great series to read. I was also disappointed in how Diana and Henry's relationship ended, but I understand. They both matured, but as they did, that made them grow apart, made them want different things. And a weird part of me likes the idea of Henry and Penelope staying together.:)

Jen on April 7, 2011 at 7:59 AM said...

It was such a good series!! I'm looking forward to reading the new series she's doing. The idea of Henry & Penelope being miserable is a twisted form of justice, but I'll take it.

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada