Sweet Valley Confidential

April 15, 2011

Sweet Valley Confidential: 10 Years Later
By: Francine Pascal

*** This review does include spoilers. ***

Summary:

Twins Jessica & Elizabeth Wakefield are now 27, no longer speaking, & live on opposite coasts. What happened that tore these sisters apart?

"If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it." Francine Pascal, should have left well enough alone. I grew up reading about the Wakefield twins and their adventures in Sweet Valley High. I loved every minute of it so much, that long after I stopped reading the books, loyalty had me watching the TV show they made from them. It was great to live vicariously through these girls. However, 10 years later, everything has gone wrong and it's beyond what this once loyal fan can take.

So what happened that did do much damage? I'll tell you. The male lead who spent his youth in love with Elizabeth is now in love with her sister, Jessica. Not only are they together, but the live together and are planning a to get married. I had a hard time adjusting to this. In fact, I can't envision it. The whole series was about how close the sisters were and it went to great lengths to have Elizabeth and Todd the golden couple destined for the happily ever after ending. This book has gone against all of that.

I understand times, and feelings, change. But really? Jessica and Todd hated each other for years, and now their in love? I'm sorry, but you've lost me. This is too much for me to even do. The charm of the original series isn't here. In fact, very little beyond character names is still there. Granted, every one's around 27 and life happens, but it isn't even believable. I feel like Francine did such a butcher job on such a wonderful series and that damage is irreversible.

Rating: DO NOT BUY IT!!!!

2 comments:

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read on April 16, 2011 at 6:10 AM said...

I'm sorry this book disappointed you. I guess some series should be just left as they are.

Jen on April 16, 2011 at 9:45 AM said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. :(

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada