1105 Yakima Street

July 26, 2011

1105 Yakima Street
By: Debbie Macomber
400 Pages

Summary:
Dear Reader,
You've probably heard that my wife has left me. Rachel's pregnant, and she says she can't handle the stress in our household anymore. My thirteen–year–old daughter, Jolene, is jealous of her. Maybe it's my fault. As a widower I spoiled her—
Jolene was reading over my shoulder just now and says that's not true. She claims Rachel ruined everything. But that's not true. The real question is: How can I get my wife back? I don't even know where she is. She's not with Teri Polgar or any of her other friends from the salon. The other question is…when will Jolene grow up and stop acting like such a brat?
Of course, I'm not the only one in town with problems. Linc Wyse's father–in–law is trying to destroy his business. And you know Charlotte Rhodes? Seems she's becoming forgetful, and the family's worried about her and Ben. Lots of other stuff going on—but Rachel is better at keeping up with it than I am.
If you have any idea where my wife is, give me a call. Please.

***Before we get this review started, I should let you know I didn't read this book. No, I enlisted my Mom- a HUGE fan of Debbie Macomber books. Seeing as this book is the latest in a series already well established, I thought she would be able to do a better job. ***

My Mom loved this book as much as all the other books she's read by Debbie Macomber. Like most of Debbie's fan, Mom loves how the story lines revolve around some of unwanted things that can happen, yet, shows the good that can come from them. In the case of 1105 Yakima Street, some of the characters are forced to deal with the affects of Alzheimer's, others deal with a stressful marriage and home environment. While Debbie Macomber doesn't shy away from these heart wrenching topics, she does leave you with a happy ending and the excitement to read the next book. She keeps you glued to the story to see how things play out.

My Mom loved the storyline involving Olivia the most. Olivia is a judge and, along with her brother, are noticing that Mom and Dad have begun forgetting things. For example, her parent's kitchen catches fire when her Mother leaves the stove on. A major decision is forced upon Olivia and her brother when, once back in their own house, Olivia discovers her parents not using the new stove because they don't know how to work it. Popcorn and cereal have become their new meals. At that point, the siblings have no choice but to accept a new reality. However, in classic Debbie Macomber fashion, this seemingly sad story has an incredibly happy ending.

Mom also loved the dynamic of Olivia's brother, Will, and the local artist he hires to help run his art gallery, Miranda. The two butt heads and eventually fall in love. Mom enjoyed watching Will grow from an adult/child into an adult.

She felt the storyline involving a pregnant Rachel who flees the house she shares with her husband, Bruce, and his daughter, Jolene, was good. Rachel and Bruce are expecting their child, but life in the house has become more than anyone can stand. Drastic measures are taken when Rachel moves out of the home they share and in with an old boyfriend and his roommates. Rachel doesn't want anyone to know where she is out of fear that Bruce will think she's now with the old boyfriend.

My Mom loved 1105 Yakima Street. In her words: "Debbie Macomber never fails to deliver a good story. The characters are people you would like to meet and be friends with." I think my favorite comment from my Mom about one of her favorite authors is: "Her books are like warm chocolate chip cookies." Enough said. I just may have to read this book myself.

Rating: Borrow From The Library/ Buy It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada