Growing Up Amish

July 3, 2011

Growing Up Amish
By: Ira Wagler

Summary:
"...in this heartwarming memoir, Ira paints a vivid portrait of Amish life—from his childhood days on the family farm, his Rumspringa rite of passage at age 16, to his ultimate decision to leave the Amish Church for good at age 26." bn.com

Prior to reading this book, I knew very little about what it's like to be Amish. I didn't know there were different types of Amish, let alone the rules for their church. To say the very least, reading Growing Up Amish gave me knowledge I wouldn't have otherwise.

Ira really does take you into the life of the Amish. You learn the courting ways, the church ways. You find out what it's like to attend a regular church service and a baptism. By the time I had finished the book, I felt like I had been living next door to the Amish. And while I may not be able to live the life they do, I have a respect for their choice I didn't have before.

Growing Up Amish not only takes you among the people, but it also takes you on the emotional journey Ira Wagler went on. Through the course of the book, you will read how he leaves the church numerous times only to come back. However, every time he returns he isn't able to find the peace he was hoping would be there. By the fourth time, he finally has a firm understanding on his life direction. My heart broke for him every time he left and every time he came back.

Rating: Borrow From The Library

1 comments:

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read on July 4, 2011 at 10:23 AM said...

Great review! There is something about the Amish that really intrigues me. Their lifestyle is so 19th century and really unique. I could read this.

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada