The 1st Book I Loved

April 23, 2010

Anne of Green Gables

By: L.M. Montgomery
308 pages

Summary:
"When Marilla & Matthew Cuthbert of Green Gables send for a boy orphan to help then out at their farm, they mistakenly get Anne Shirley,a feisty, independent but warm-hearted 11 year old girl. Fortunately her sunny nature & quirky imagination win the hearts of her reluctant foster parents & everyone in the community. But not a day goes by without some memorable adventure or prank int he tragicomedy of her life." - Barnes & Noble.com

I was introduced to Anne of Green Gables in junior high. We read it as a class and I fell in love with it immediately. I couldn't get enough of Anne and all her mishaps. It was one of the few books I've read that still has a special place in my reading heart no matter how old I get.

I loved everything about Anne Shirley! From the red hair she despised to all the many, many "scrapes" she found herself in (and me laughing at). She was the first character I related to and couldn't get enough of. The book was magical for me- never losing it's touch no matter how many times I read it again. I laughed every time she got herself into trouble, despite her good intentions at the start.

Anne of Green Gables left such an imprint on me I thought I should share it. I donated my books to my library thinking someone else would find it and loved it as much as I did. I regretted it and even went back to get them. I thought I could part with Anne, but I couldn't. Sadly, the only one that was left was the first book, so I had to buy it back.

Some of my favorite scenes:

  • Anne breaks her school slate over Gilbert's head when he calls her carrots
  • Accidentally getting her "Bosom Buddy" Diane drun
  • Falling off a roof of a building she's dared to walk
  • Dying her red hair black only to have it come out green

I'm hoping my own daughters love it as much as I did. I'm thinking of re-reading the series again. May the magic of Anne of Green Gables live on forever.

4 comments:

Bobbie on April 24, 2010 at 5:22 AM said...

Good Morning Jen:) This is Bobbie from tilwereadagain.blogspot.com I just got your comment and I would love for you to do guest post for my blog. Your blog is wonderful and Anne of Green Gables was not my first book but one of my favorites as a kid:)If you are still interested in doing a guest post please email me at tilwereadagain(AT)gmail.(DOT)com. Have a wonderful day!

Casey (The Bookish Type) on April 24, 2010 at 10:28 PM said...

Hey Jen! I was so excited to see that you were a fan of Anne! I adore those books as well! Anne Shirley was one of those people who didn't go looking for trouble, but it found her anyway =) I love this post - it's such a nice walk down memory lane! I hope your daughters love the books too! I can't imagine why they wouldn't! =)

Booksnyc on May 3, 2010 at 2:20 AM said...

I love Anne of Green Gables too! I committed to re-reading the first book as part of Bart's Bookshelf's Twenty Ten Challenge and I am really looking forward to it!

Rose said...

Hey Jen! This is one of my favorite books of all time! Did you ever read The Story Girl by L.M. Montgomery?

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada