Alice I Have Been

April 24, 2010


Alice I Have Been
BY:Melanie Benjamin
pages: 345

Summary:
We all know about Alice, from Alice In Wonderland. But have you ever wondered about the girl who inspired the famous character? Well, through Melanie Benjamin you can not only meet her, but also read about her life before and after the classic book is released.

I really wanted to love this book. I couldn't wait to read it! I thought the idea of bringing the inspiration for the beloved character was genious!! I tip my hat to Melanie Benjamin because it could not have been an easy task to undertake!

My excitement stayed with me for just under 200 pages. But, as with a lot of stories surrounding a significant event, I grew tired of waiting for the big reveal. I loved reading about Alice as a child. I couldn't help but smile while reading her thoughts & views on things. So many times I remembered feeling the same way throughout my life. I enjoyed reading of the relationship between Alice and Mr. Dodgson (Lewis Carroll's real name). I found myself rooting for them. However, I am sorry to say all of this was not enough to keep me going.

Sadly, I just couldn't keep that interest for the whole book. My biggest complaint is that I grew tired of reading hints about the big split that permanently seperated Alice and Mr. Dodgson. I hope if any of you read this book that you have better luck with it than I did. Maybe someday I'll read this book again with the success I wanted to have this time.

Rating: borrow from the library

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard a lot about this one lately, and it sounds good but no one seems to have been too wrapped in it. It's a shame it was a bit of a disappointment for you.

Jen on April 28, 2010 at 7:48 AM said...

yeah, i was bummed. it had such good potential. i'm frustrated that i couldn't keep the interest. glad to know it wasn't just me though.

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada