Pippi Longstocking

April 27, 2010


Pippi Longstocking
By: Astrid Lindgren
160 pages

I am Pippi Longstocking,
If you say it fast it's funny.
Pippi, Pippi Longstocking.
How I love my happy name.....


I should say now that my introduction to this remarkable character was not through a book. It wasn't until I was older that I even knew she originated in a book. No, I met her through her movies that would play on tv during the weekends. Yup, I fell in love with Pippi, and her entire zany world through a badly dubbed movie- and I wouldn't have had it any other way!

When I finally decided to read the book, I did so with a lot of concern. I feared, as with a lot of movies based on books, it wouldn't be as good- or even come close. Happily, all was well and I fell in love with Pippi all over again. Her own way of doing things was as enchanting and funny in the book that started it all as they were in the movies I cherished as a child.

What's not to love about a girl who cleans her floors with scrub brushes on her shoes?! Or flies her own zeppelin (I couldn't do justice to it if I tried to describe what her version was made of) to rescue her "Papa" from pirates? And let me tell you, Pippi a completely different menu when it comes to having a picnic. The words "her own way of doing things" got a whole new meaning when Pippi moved into her father's house.

Some favorite Pippi moments for me:

  • cleaning her floors with brushes on her feet
  • her unique way of dealing with burglars who try to steal her gold
  • the food she serves at a picnic
  • her first tea party... it doesn't go well


If you haven't read Pippi Longstocking, do so! I think I just might have to spend a day or two visiting my old friend very soon!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never read Pippi Longstocking. Maybe I should, she sounds like fun!

Jen on April 27, 2010 at 9:33 PM said...

oh she's a great character!! she gives new meaning to the phrase "think out of the box". if you do read it, let me know what you think. I hope you enjoy her as much as I did.

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada