Luxe

January 23, 2011


The Luxe
By: Anna Godbersen
292 Pages* (Nook book)

Summary:
The year is 1899. Appearances are everything- no matter what must be done. Elizabeth is in love with a poor boy who is employed by her family. A future with him is unacceptable & impossible. Or is it? Elizabeth's Mother holds her own secret- the family no longer has the money they once did. Is she willing to force one of her daughters into a loveless marriage just to maintain their status? Elizabeth's rebellious sister, Diana, has fallen in love- with the one man she can't have. And Elizabeth's best friend brings new meaning to the word frenemy. Welcome to New York Society.

Oh my gosh! I just finished Luxe and I loved every minute of it! I was very curious as to how Anna Godbersen was going to make a forgotten time like the early 1900s seem interesting to young adults, but she truly did an amazing job. I cannot wait to get my hands on book 2, Rumors.

The book opens up with everyone gathered at Elizabeth's funeral- instead of her wedding. A carriage accident leaves Elizabeth presumed to be dead. You meet the characters and quickly become immersed in the world she lived in. The book moves at a rapid pace leaving no page unimportant- which I love.

If you enjoy historical fiction, this book may be up your alley. Luxe is the first book in a series of 4 and I have plans for beginning book 2 this evening. The author did a phenomenal job of bringing the year 1899 to you and keeping you interested. I completely understand why this is such a popular series.

Rating: Buy It!

3 comments:

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read on January 24, 2011 at 12:49 AM said...

I love this series and I'm glad that you enjoyed the first book in the series! Can't wait to read your thoughts on Rumours! Oh, just one thing - I believe everyone was gathered at Elizabeth's funeral. Diana, her younger sister, is alive.

Jen on January 25, 2011 at 1:23 PM said...

Oh My Gosh!!! How in the world did I goof that one?!! Thank you for letting me know! Well, on the bright side, I have a new blonde moment post to put up! LOL

Casey (The Bookish Type) on February 3, 2011 at 9:17 PM said...

I've been intrigued by this series for a while, and now I definitely think I need to read it! I'm so intrigued! She's only "presumed" dead?! I need to know more!

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada