Journey Through The Classics Update!

September 11, 2010

**Rebecca is not on the Barnes & Noble Classics list. This is one of the several classics I'll be reading that is not on it.

Rebecca
By: Daphne Du Maurier

This is another re-read for me. While I don't remember much of it from the first reading, I do know it didn't take me as long to read as it did this time.

Overall, I liked the book. I found the first half slow going and even boring at times. I felt like it took awhile to get really going. But once it got good, it got REALLY good. The second half of the book was great! I had a hard time putting it down when I had to. Laundry was put off until I had no choice about it because I couldn't wait to see what happened next.

The character Mrs. Danvers, the head house employee, was one of those characters you want to throttle! As awful as this may sound, that woman needed a good dose of reality to hit her in the face. Somewhere along the line she forgot she was an employee- a replaceable one at that- and not the owner of the house.

I was a little disappointed with the ending. I would have liked a bit more closure. All you know is that Manderley is on fire, but there's no resolution as to who did it, though you have 2 good ideas. I can't really put my finger on it, but I thought the book would end in a different way.

2 comments:

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read on September 12, 2010 at 1:39 AM said...

I'm glad you liked Rebecca! I read it ages ago, but I remember truly liking it. I might re-read it some day.

Jen on September 13, 2010 at 11:14 AM said...

I was so frustrated it took so long to read it this time around. It was great to re-read it.

Thanks for your comment!

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada