Journey Through The Classics Update!

September 19, 2010

The Turn of the Screw
By: Henry James

This was another re-read for me. I enjoyed it the first time and struggled with it this time. Of all the things I've forgotten about the book, I can't believe I forgot how wordy Henry James is. He got elaborately descriptive with his writing to the point that I had to read more than a few sentences and paragraphs over again. I eventually got to the point where I didn't bother reading it again if I knew nothing important was missed.

Having said that, the plot of the story was great! I love a good ghost story that isn't too scary. Henry James told a great story and at a great pace. The story is the re-telling of a governess's time taking care of 2 siblings in their Uncle's country house. She's the latest of a few people who had taken care of them, and a couple of them haven't left the children...

I may read this book again, someday, but it wouldn't be any time soon. It's not a book I recommend reading if you aren't able to invest a chunk of time, despite it being barely over 100 pages long. I also wouldn't read this book if you're reading others as well. For me, at least, I had to dedicate a lot of concentration and time to it because of the way Henry James wrote it.

2 comments:

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read on September 20, 2010 at 2:37 AM said...

Haha, good comment about James's wordiness. He was definitely a very wordy chap. I intend to read The Turn of the Screw soon! I'll see how I lie it.

Jen on September 20, 2010 at 9:47 AM said...

I hope you like it! If you can get through all the extra descriptions, it's a good read. I look forward to your thoughts on it.

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada