Frankenstein (Journey Through The Classics)

October 16, 2010

Frankenstein
By: Mary Shelley

Frankenstein was one of those books you knew of long before you ever read it- if you chose to. It has it's own following. It plays a big part of pop culture today- especially come Halloween time. And it has been my experience through hearing other peoples' thoughts on it that you will either love it or hate it. I, however, fall into neither of those categories. I did not love the book, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I hated it since I did finish it. I can say this: I didn't like it very much. I will probably never read it again, and couldn't wait for it to be done.

Victor Frankenstein is a lover of science- mainly Natural Science. His desire to make a name for himself in this field leads him to build a living, breathing creature. Once his creation is complete and comes to life the reality of it scares Frankenstein enough to flee his apartment. When he finally returns, the creation is nowhere to be found. (Eventually you read the creation's story on how he passes this time. When the two do come face to face again the creation asks Frankenstein to make him a companion. He agrees, but destroys his work half way through. The failure to live up to his end of the agreement send the creation into a murderous revenge. He proceeds to kill everyone Frankenstein loves.From that point on the two become locked in a bitter battle.

I'm not a fan of overly descriptive and wordy authors. Mary Shelley is such a writer. I found she spent too much time describing things that held no real bearing with the actual story. She got me lost more than once while setting the scene. I have to say that it got to the point where it took away from the book's plot for me. She did have me feeling sorry for the creation. Through no choice of his own he was made and forced to spend his life wishing for loving human contact and never getting any.

For those who enjoyed this book, I am glad you did. I am glad that I read it. It's not the kind of book I normally would. I'm always happy to put myths to rest and am able to do so with one myth: Frankenstein is NOT the creation, but the creator.

Rating: Borrow From Library/ Return It If You Bought It

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Jen, I'm sorry to read you didn't like it much. My personal experience of Frankenstein is totally different to yours. Consider that it is hailed as the first science-fiction novel to emerge from the romantic gothic, and (the coolest bit) it was written by a woman.

The theme of creation and destruction, playing god and the consequences thereafter are vividly portrayed. In a way, I was astounded by Shelley's vision of the future. She was a writer ahead of her time. Frankenstein is one of my all time favourites, and I was surprised that the story itself moved me to tears. The monster is always seen as a uncouth, unholy character, but his conversations with Frankenstein are some of the best in literature. I could really relate to his turmoil; he really moved me to tears.

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read on October 17, 2010 at 1:22 AM said...

I'm sorry this novel was not to your liking. It happens. I haven't read Frankenstein yet, but I want to because, just as the blogger above me said, it is the first science-fiction novel and it was written by a woman, woot!:) It seems that many Victorian authors (or authors just before the Victorian era) were very wordy. It must have been something in the water they drank, I guess.:)

Jen on October 17, 2010 at 1:09 PM said...

Myworldlyobsessions-- Thank you for commenting & visiting my blog! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I didn't know it was the first science fiction book! Thank you for telling me.

I agree with you about the monster. I had much sympathy for him and the situation he had no say in. For having to learn to talk on his own, he was very well spoken. I was sad to see how the story ended in his case.

Jen on October 17, 2010 at 1:12 PM said...

Irena-- I love reading your comments!! I didn't know it was the first science fiction book! I was very interested to read this genre from a female's imagination. My biggest problem with it was how wordy and descriptive she was. When the story was actually moving it was great. I look forward to reading your thoughts when you read it.
Thanks for commenting!!

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada