The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow (Journey Through The Classics)

October 17, 2010

The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow
By: Washington Irving

Before I even started this book I had a feeling I was going to like it and I was right!

My brother-in-law described this story to me as the classic jock vs nerd fighting for the affections of the same woman. I kind of agree with that, since that is part of the story. Though I think it's more a tale of using one's fears against him.

Sleepy Hollow is a little town in New York. Among it's residents are: Ichabod, the town teacher; Brom, the town jerk; Katrina, the woman both men want to marry; and various spirits. You have the Galloping Hessain and The Headless Horseman being the most notable two. When Brom notices Ichabod's feelings for Katrina, he decides to play tricks on the teacher. His last trick is the meanest of all. Playing on Ichabod's fears of the ghost stories told of what happens in the town at night, Brom dresses up as the Headless Horseman and proceeds to chase Ichabod. The next morning, the only thing left to find of Ichabod is his hat.

A fun little story that I could see myself reading every year around Halloween. However, I will always be frustrated that Brom won the woman's heart in the end when he deserved a big kick in the ass instead. However, knowing that Ichabod finds success in another town is a small consolation.

2 comments:

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read on October 18, 2010 at 1:47 AM said...

I'm really glad you enjoyed the story! It's a great read for this time of year, I agree, and yes, Brom is a meanie. I was totally on Ichabod's side the entire time. Well, I like to tell myself he was too good for Katrina, anyway.:)

I really recommend Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow, the movie. It was made into a really spooky movie and it's a lot different from Washington's story, but the basic elements are there and I think you'll really like the story of Ichabod and Katrina. *wink*

Jen on October 18, 2010 at 9:45 AM said...

Yeah, it was a great story to get curled up with. My brother-in-law was saying the same thing about Time Burton's movie; one of these days I'm gonna have to watch it. Thanks for commenting!!

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada