Northanger Abbey (Journey Through The Classics)

October 31, 2010

Northanger Abbey
By: Jane Austen
Apparently I have attempted to read this book before. Whether I finished it, I have no clue because I don't remember ever reading it. Go figure. However, this time I didn't finish it. I got more than half way through before throwing in the towel. I couldn't take the slow moving plot or the annoying cast of secondary characters any longer.
I wanted to like this book, but couldn't. The story is about Catherine falling for Henry Tilney and going to his house where things are odd. Half way through the book there was no sign of the house visit in sight. Catherine's friend, Isabella, was an annoying twit. Isabella's brother, John, was an arrogant and manipulative jerk. Even Catherine's love interest, Henry, drove me nuts. The only character I did like was Catherine.
For those who have read Northanger Abbey and liked it, I am glad you did. Sadly, I am not among those who did.

4 comments:

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read on November 1, 2010 at 1:39 AM said...

I actually did like it. And just about half way through, the house visit does happen, hehe. You just missed it.:) I have to confess, I watched the ITV adaptation from 2007 before reading the novel, so that might have helped in my liking the book. I knew what to expect. I like Catherine a lot, she's my fave Austen heroine, and I also liked Henry, but the rest of the characters were... meh.

Jen on November 1, 2010 at 7:21 AM said...

I'm so glad you liked it. Maybe I'll go back and pick up where I left off. If volme 2 is much better, then I'll give it a try. Thanks for your comment!

hopeinbrazil on January 10, 2011 at 1:03 PM said...

Jen, I hated this book until I listened to it as an audio book. Then I realized how funny it was. Now if only I can get over my dislike for Emma I could be a true blue Austen fan.

hopeinbrazil on January 10, 2011 at 1:05 PM said...

Hi Jen, I disliked this book until I heard the audio version. Then I realized how funny it was. Now if only I can learn to like Emma. Then I'd be a true blue Jane Austen fan.

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada