The Quarantine Princess Diaries

March 28, 2023


 The Quarantine Princess Diaries

By: Meg Cabot

Genre: Young Adult, Teen  


Summary:

As the world battles COVID, so does Genovia. Princess Mia has to not only guide her country through a pandemic (with opposition as close to under her own roof), but she also has to deal with her family at the same time. How does she do it? How does everyone handle it all? Thankfully, Mia kept a diary for us to find out. 

I have to be honest- this is my first Princess Diaries book. I know it's far into the established series, but I haven't read any of them. I've seen the movies, but haven't read the books. However, I couldn't resist this one. I was so curious to see how Princess Mia handles a pandemic and what it would look like in Genovia. So, I dove right in- having missed quite a book from previous books in the series. 

I'm glad I did. Overall, I have to say that I enjoyed the book. There was so much I didn't know- for example, Princess Mia is a married mother now! I worried jumping in so late in the series would l eave me confused, but it didn't. Meg Cabot writes a delightful story and in a way that anyone could follow along to. 

Cabot starts you off at the beginning of COVID, so there's no surprise when a family member to Mia has to spend 2 weeks in a separate room because of a possible exposure to the virus. As her country's leader, Mia looks for how to guide the citizens through this extraordinary time. She finds guidance in a book on The Great Influenza of 1918. That and wine. Lots of wine. 

While she takes the same protective measures against the virus the rest of the world does, Princess Mia has to deal with critics- as the rest of the world had to. She just may not have expected them to be from her own family. Grandma, for one, is not in support of the lockdowns as it puts a damper on her partying ways. 

As Mia's diary continues to document the battle against the virus, it also documents her Grandma's new friends and new fiancé. As well as Mia's Cousin Ivan's not so rational reaction to precautions to stop the spread. 

It was fun to revisit Genovia and see what everyone was up to. My favorite character had to be Grandma. Who knew she'd be such a partier?!  Her storyline kept you giggling from start to finish. It was weird to see Mia as an adult in her 30s. She's a wife now. She's a mom now. She really likes her wine now. It was fun to relive the pandemic though this lens. Much more fun than when I lived it in real time without a party animal Grandma to entertain me. I think longstanding readers of the series will enjoy this installment. It's a quick, lighthearted read. I just may have to start from the beginning of the series now. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada